16/11/10

A fish called Jasper

I keep on asking myself why; why, once I've discovered the hideous mystery of mr. T (whenever they may call it) and (T)his grotesque world-of-words, I have to be involved in it also in this language, this other way to understand the wor(l)d and everything in it. And out.
What I can say about it, is that this mixture of Dutch, Swedish, German, Latin and French, this "catholic" language which has actually become the "universal" one through its extensive use in business still has some sort of nobility, an ancient, extremely deep grip on my mind, and that it affects such a vast region of my interests that I find myself in a subtle kind of ecstasy while listening to a good old Queen's English speaker. Much like J.L.Curtis' character in Wanda, but without J.L.Curtis, and all of her cinematic inconvenience; anyways, nothing that I could ever imagine about myself, or any other allegedly "real" person. But, of course, a mr. J. Thompson is the Author here and now.

Anyhow, here come some new bricks for this new Inland Empire, that such language is to me:

parse \PAHRS\, transitive verb:
1. To resolve (as a sentence) into its component parts of speech with an explanation of the form, function, and syntactical relationship of each part.
2. To describe grammatically by stating its part of speech, form, and syntactical relationships in a sentence.
3. To examine closely or analyze critically, especially by breaking up into components.
4. To make sense of; to comprehend.
5. (Computer Science) To analyze or separate (input, for example) into more easily processed components.

intransitive verb:1. To admit of being parsed.We must learn to pars

To parse in Italian is "fare l'analisi logica di una frase". A jolly good improvement, I'd say.
In a general meaning, to examine closely, in each and every single part, to make sense of (something) is parsing. So now I'm just parsing the whole thing.

ullage \UHL-ij\, noun:
1. The amount by which the contents fall short of filling a container, as a cask or bottle.
2. The quantity of wine, liquor, or the like, remaining in a container that has lost part of its contents by evaporation, leakage, or use.

whilom \HWAHY-luhm\, adjective:
1. Former; erstwhile.adverb:
1. At one time.

some Latin:

emend \ih-MEND\, verb:
1. To free from faults or errors; correct.
2. To edit or change a text

(same root as emendamento, ammenda, rammendare, etc.)

the last one:

debonair \deb-uh-NAIR\, adjective:
1. Courteous, gracious, and having a sophisticated charm.
2. Jaunty; carefree; sprightly.

would well describe my feeling about English, with that unique, sophisticated charm.
And, of course, it's French.

Still parsing the situation, I can't figure out what the ullage of it will turn out to be, what was the whilom level of it, what I have to emend anymore, in this wor(l)d.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento