29/11/10

The man from the past

I'm thinking about thinness, watching

The man who fell to Earth by N. Roeg (1974)

my own thinness, in particular; and what strikes me most deeply is that the phoney name the protagonist -"T.J. Newton"- gives himself in the beginning is Sussex; a couple of days ago I remembered of my oldest name, the very first name I've ever given to this person of mine when I was about 14, and I used that to sign a message for my cousin; it was "Essex 320 α/d".
At that time I didn't know what that meant; but I don't know it now as well.


I've used that very name for some ten years since.

Did I know the character's name, then?
Or is it just another sort of archetype, and so it just doesn't matter if I made it up myself, or I found it already made. Virtually, is the same thing about Jasper L. Thompson.

Of course, the character says of himself that he's "from England; is that kind of a character who couldn't be from anywhere else. That is, he couldn't say he comes from anywhere else.
Now I know that.
Now I can see how much this movie has affected my thoughts, my ideas. My whole life, in fact.
I feel like I've had seen it before I was born; in another life. Or somewhere else.

I had sneakers very similar to his (in 1985):

I've always dressed like him:

(and David Lynch, and I suppose this is the only idea of elegance I'm able to get)

and I've always drank London gin

even though it was Gordon; nevertheless, I've only had a single cat as a friend, and flatmate:

a blonde-reddish one.

So, in the end I simply cannot judge this movie as such; perhaps I don't really like it that much, but it's part of my past as if it was based on my own life.

I guess people who're looking for fun are somehow deficients; intelligent people always look for OTHER things.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento