01/12/10

The Stan

This guy is the title for tonight


Restrepo by T. Hetherington & S. Junger (2010)
with its own website right here. Juan "Doc", killed in action

has given us one of the most original movie title ever. He gave his life too, but that was for "his Country", which as we know is the Big, in fact the biggest one, thanks to simple-minded, yielding "tough guys" like him. In this over-awarded BBC doc, we have some clues about what war actually is, because I can well remember being a soldier as total boredom, and if you add the fear of being shot while walking around in the mountains, that's probably, more or less, all you could possibly tell about it.


This is -more or less- the film itself; I just CAN'T agree with any one of the critics; i can't say it is "utterly immersive", "revelatory", "unforgettable and terrifying", "deeply moving and impossible to shake", "electrifying", "a stunning piece of work", or "an unprecedented work of art". I just don't think SO. I can't even think of what one has to have into his head to write something like that, about this. I mean, Restrepo is a good, honest but mild documentary about a bunch of American soldiers in Afghanistan, involved in a war about which the global audience knows nothing. I'd like to know why the guy today is only a title, in the 1st place, or at least why he's supposed to be so, according to the US gov. People die everyday, everywhere; it looks like a trend. As long as it seems to be important to show this particular death, that of an American soldier in a foreign country, I guess everybody should know why he was there, apart from picking & shoveling trenches, eating local cows and getting bored. But I guess that's a little too much "vérité" even for the BBC. I'd say Restrepo is interesting enough, yet what actually interest me more isn't there. One day we'll eventually watch a real "reality" movie on "the Stan" that will become this war of American Big Losers, like the one I posted on Youtube:


and THAT will be way more interesting.
My final judgement: interesting enough. Italic.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento