08/10/09

Sacher World - Tiny Fractions of People

This movie is enchanting:


Before Sunrise by R.Linklater (1995)
☻☻☻☻☻

I'm trying to remember if I ever have seen a romance before this one. Of course, it wasn't Love Story (which in fact is a Death Story, but I've never seen it anyway), so what else?
Guess I need help from IMDB --

Now this is the list "Top Romance Movies":
Casablanca (1942)
Rear Window (1954)
The Big Parade (1925)
North by Northwest (1959)
It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
Léon (1994)
Vertigo (1958)
Forrest Gump (1994)
City Lights (1931)
WALL·E (2008)

Ok, ok, I saw ALL of them, except for Big Parade; I didn't know Rear Window was a romance, in fact I didn't know how many Hitch's were classified as such, but that is one of my favourite movies, along with Vertigo AND North by Northwest, so I guess that not only I've already seen (most of the top) romance movies before, but I've also loved some of them. A lot.
Anyway, first of all, I just didn't know Before Sunrise was a romance; I'm downloading the opera omnia by Linklater, as you may know, for watching the free-HD-no-ads version of Slacker on YouTube has been such a great experience, and both his more famous rotoscoped works were way more interesting than most of the "real movies" of the nineties.
Second, and perhaps most important point, is that I've never seen a romance-only before, where you see two people meeting, falling in love, and BEING in love all along the running time, with no -e.g- a wartime scenery, a lethal illness, one murder or more, or some robotic stuff.
Strange enough, I liked it.


Again, I was kind of amazed in hearing such an expressive, natural speech from an American actor; the kind of expressiveness of which I find a severe lack in most of the original version-actors I've ever seen and heard, and I don't think that is because they're acting in comedies, dramas, or horrors, the reason why they don't need to be more than cinematic speaking tools. I do appreciate now, more than ever (that is, before the torrent :) our great Italian dubbers, for giving us beautifully warm voices and transport and genuine expressivity in their vocal acting, for now I know how most of the English-speaking acting sounds way more flat, that in spite of (or, besides) the American accent and slang it preserves a typical Britannic coldness that is actually giving me the feeling of the greatest differences between us white people and our Zeitgeist, and humanity, so as the very Italian verb sentire, "to hear", is the same as "to feel". Yes, it is.

Of course, this is a romance; all of this expressiveness is due and necessary. But again, I'd like to hear -or feel- it a bit more often out of the lovestory circuit, since this is very likey my first and only "pure" romance ever. And may be the last one.

We have a beautiful couple of handsome, good actors (and I could think it isn't that hard to play someone in love at that age, being an actor and playing for a living -- a double meaning we Italian people just can't afford) on a beautiful Old-Europe scenario (a city where you can see a rabbit running in the park, that's a great city) now knowing that this is one of the few romance-only screenplay ever made, could it be a bad one?
Hell, no.

WARNING:SPOILER

So here you "see two people meeting, falling in love, and BEING in love all along the running time"; then, the movie is over. We've seen two Strangers On A Train in the beginning, they're still there in the end. No murder(s), no illness, no robots.
What's in the middle is a sweet, simply delightful "romance", and nothing else.
Would you call a romance "love"? If so, here it is.
This movie is about perfect; it doesn't tell too much, the deepest message you could ever pick out of this is that men and women are just not the same thing, not exactly an intellectual revolution; yet, I was looking for another good movie from the author of Slacker, Waking Life and so on, which are both original stuff (a very rare quality) played by almost-unknown guys, and I was about to be disappointed in finding the almost-famous Hawke in the cast of a romance; nonetheless, I've found a good movie, and a good actor in it.

(oh, yeah, she's nice too)

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento